Step 1: PLANNING MY LEARNING
Planning my learning is about creating a personalised learning plan and focusing on locating and developing learning strategies.
Here the dimensions in focus are especially:
- What am I able to do?
- What do I need to get better at?
GOAL SETTING & PLANNING
- What learning would I like to achieve?
- Setting my learning goals
- Planning my self-learning agenda
INITIATIVE & OWNERSHIP
- Understanding my learning limitations & possibilities
- Taking responsibility for my own learning
- Finding driving questions and analogies
- Seeking input from others
ENGAGEMENT & MANAGEMENT
- Understanding my learning strategies and how they affect my learning
- Select & seek out resources available to me
- Check my own progress
The focus will also be to find out where the mentees’ strengths and weaknesses are in relation to their language level and setting achievable learning goals. Once the goals are in place, it will be time to focus on the strategies that they can use, as well as to be aware of limitations and possibilities.
In order to plan and organise learning goals, the mentees need to find out which level they are currently at and also to gain insights into which categories of language learning they need to focus on ameliorating.